Friday, December 15, 2017

Divine Disorder Self-Help ~ Plan-Do: Defining and Achieving Your Life Goals



Christmas, 1947
At an early age I wanted to know why I was born? That day, October 16, 1946 was nine months and four days after my parents’ marriage, January 12, 1946. Was there a purpose, a destiny, a plan? A year later, November 14, 1947, I was joined by my sister. Being a more practical soul, she didn’t have these questions, nor did my parents. 

Like many, the search began at a very young age. I attended the Calvary Evangelical Lutheran Church in Two Rivers, Wisconsin. We had belonged to St. Johns church, but my father moved us to this new, smaller church, because, for one thing, it allowed participation in the Boy Scouts.

I loved Sunday school. When told the story of Jesus staying behind to "be in my Father's House", at age six or so, that made all the sense in the world to me. That was 65 years ago.

Intending to be a writer and film maker, keeping a journal was encouraged by teachers and professors. Having done so, there is a long record. For decades I’ve had an urge to share the journey, having done some of that with the Steps to Knowledge blog. The goal is that perhaps some will get confirmation of challenges and some opportunity to learn from my experiences navigation within Divine Disorder.

The writing I ended up doing was related to my work as a regional planner. Reading Alvin Toffler’s “Future Shock” in 1970, I learned of city planning and was able to begin graduate studies a few months later. The availability of that was a high level synchronicity. It seemed it would be a good topic for film-making. Though it really used my communications skills, no films have come of it yet.

My first full time job was as a Human Resources Planner for the Lord Fairfax Planning District Commission in Front Royal, Virginia. The work was challenging, utilizing many of my skills and abilities, but the pay wasn’t great, so I began to consider other careers. In the process I developed a personal planning process that I taught. I’m setting it out here at the start of this blog in order that it be of some use to others. One thing I did rediscover in the exercises was the importance of spirituality in my life.



After twenty years, it led me to study of Greater Community Spirituality where I learned of the Great Plan of God. One's place in the plan may be discerned over time with practice of the Steps to Knowledge.

My planning process had helped me make my way through the disorder of life on earth and recognize the Divine in it. So I say, for self-help, follow a planning process, make a plan, review and follow it, being alert for guidance.


Using the exercises that follow, you create the opportunity for your own plan to emerge from your heart and consciously record it, setting practical goals that will help you navigate the world.
 

Plan-Do: Defining and Achieving Your Life Goals


 by Tom (Thomas J.) Christoffel

Copyright 1988, Revised 1990, 2003, 2009, 2012, 2013, 2017
Reproduce freely with attribution.

Introduction

In 1978, at age 32, I was frustrated. In spite of family, home and career, I didn't know where my life was going. Although I'd worked as a planner for seven years, as I looked for relief in a new career, I found I didn't have any life goals. The planner had no plan. Beginning with a simple 3" x 5" index card I remedied that and over a period of seven years developed an efficient, yet simple, personal plan.

To do so I didn't have to invent goals, but found that unconsciously they'd always been part of my life. I only needed to uncover them, write them down as goals and realistically work to achieve them in small steps. The exercises in this three part workbook will help you uncover your personal plan and develop your own personal planning process. Wherever you are now is on the path to your life goals.

In the 2003 update I incorporated use of word processing computer programs to simplify the writing piece, but the thinking part is more important. This is a start up to getting your plan – establishing your goals. What works for you will be the deciding factor.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is welcome via comments, but the intention is not to create a self-help discussion. Stumbling into one's own planning process and learning by doing is slow but effective. Planning and doing results in learning, from both failures and successes, your own and those of others. Recommended corrections and clarifications will be considered.
Cheers.